This is a tale of two very different pools. The first is a large and fairly regular rectangular pool and the second, an innovative fun pool with islands. The land was originally gifted to the city by William Wentworth-Fitzwilliam, the 7th Earl Fitzwilliam. The council added to the land and by the 1930’s, in addition to the swimming pool, there was a separate padding pool and other sporting facilities.

The pool was funded by a loan of £10,500 and construction started in March 1929. Admission was free but there was a charge to hire towels. The pool opened Sundays and mixed bathing was permitted.

The pool was opened on 15th August 1929 by the Lord Mayor Alderman Harry Bolton, who had a lifelong interest in swimming and had suggested the pool 18 years previously. 15,000 people attended the ceremony which was followed by exhibition swimming, high and fancy diving by Olive Flint, a show by Madame Hazeldene and her Water Babies, and a water polo match between Croft House and City Police.

Running alongside the pool was a long and narrow paddling pool that remained after the pool was demolished and replaced.

As the original pool was open all year, they used to have to break the ice in winter. If you helped and swam in the water all year, you were allowed to join The Spartans who had free admission to the pool from then on.

In 1968 an inspection showed cracks in the base of the pool. It closed shortly after and a the new pool using hexagonal motifs was designed and opened in 1970. Local residents remember the pool closing during the 1980’s but nothing definitive has been found.

This record benefits from many photographs reproduced from https://picturesheffield.com/, following their copyright requirements to show the source and image number. You can search this resource for additional pictures and locate specific examples using the picture reference number shown in the gallery.

NameMillhouses Park
Abbeydale Road South, Sheffield, S17 3LA
Built / opened15th August 1929 by the Lord Mayor Alderman Harry Bolton
then, 1970
Cost 1929 – £10,500
1970 – £70,000
Dimensions1929 – 330′ x 111′
1970 – 400′ x 100′ (scaled from aerial image)
Capacity1,250,000 gallons
Water typeFed from River Sheaf, filtered, unheated
Depth(s)3′ to 6′ with 9′ diving pit
Diving boards2 x 1m springboards, 3m and 5m fixed platform
Changing facilitiesFor 200 bathers
Second poolAdjacent long and narrow paddling “river”
Spectator seating
Designer
Date closed1929 – in 1968
1970 – some time during 1980’s, infilled early 1990’s
StatusDemolished
On site nowGrassed over
Last updated9th February 2026

Sheffield Daily Telegraph – Saturday 19 January 1929

BATHING POOL SCHEME – Open-air Swimming for Millhouses Park.

Dressing accommodation for 200 bathers will be provided at the new open air swimming pool which is being constructed by the Sheffield Corporation in Millhouses Park. It is expected that the pool will be opened in August next.

The new bath will be situated between the boating pond and the Waggon and Horses Hotel, and will absorb part of the garden of the hotel. It will be 110 yards long and 37yards wide, with a capacity of about 1,250,000 gallons, and will vary in depth from 3 feet to 6 feet over 85 yards of the length. Around the diving stage the water will be 9 feet deep. It will be one of the finest swimming pools of its kind. It is being constructed solely of concrete.

The water is to be carried by pipes from the River Sheaf, which runs through the park, and before entering the pool it will be filtered. It is proposed to construct the filters so that the water in the pool will be changed once every 36 hours. The scheme will necessitate the diversion of a portion of the river, which at present bends into part of the ground required for the bath. Approximately 60 unemployed men will be found work on the scheme, which is to cost £10,500. It is being carried out with the assistance of the Unemployment Grants Committee, which will contribute 75 per cent, of the loan charges over 15 years—half of the period of the loan. The scheme has been in abeyance for about two years. In October last permission for the expenditure of the necessary money was granted the Finance Consultative Committee the Sheffield City Council, and sanction for the loan has only just been obtained.


Baths Service Journal, October 1969

New Style Swimming Pool at Sheffield

Sheffield folk are looking forward to enjoying themselves in a new-style lido at Millhouses Park next year.
It’s a revolutionary design planned by the City Architect’s Department — two pools, one for children and one for grown-ups, based on the slopes of the Giant’s Causeway rock formation in Ireland.

This £70,000 imaginative plan does away with the old straight edge concept for swimming pools and introduces a design to provide the pools based on a series of hexagons. The new suntrap lido may be a conversion of the old Millhouses pool but there will be very little for swimmers to recognise when it opens.

Work on the junior section of the lido has been left until late in the project so a completely new filtration and water plant could be installed. Work on the lido started a year ago following the closing of the old open-air pool in Millhouses Park.

Millhouses 12

It was decided to completely modernise the pool. The hexagonal designs have now taken shape to form a lido which will be ‘ very much a place for the whole family. With the old pool unless someone was going to swim, they weren’t allowed into the area,’ said S. J. H. Ellis, M.Inst.B.M., told Baths Service. With the new one we will be supplying deck-chairs for them to sit in the sun. Mothers who don’t want to swim can keep an eye on their children, and enjoy the trees and the grass as well.’

A kiosk selling refreshments is being provided in the new lido and it too will be based on the hexagonal design. Mr Ellis thinks the pool will be the only one of its kind, certainly in this country. “You won’t be able to hold races here the shape won’t allow it,” he said. “But that’s not the idea. It is meant or people to come along and enjoy themselves.”

About the only thing that will remain at the park pool will be the changing rooms that were built relatively recently. In January this year the Lido Scheme was ranked in the first five of a competition for projects
which are being undertaken throughout the country to serve the public.

Millhouses 07
Millhouses 06
Millhouses 05
Millhouses 13

Loading

2 thought on “Millhouses Park”
  1. The second pool / lido was not filled in until the early Nineties. Do mention the famous (locally) Spartans Club. As the original pool was open all year, they used to have to break the ice in winter. If you helped and swam in the water all year, you were allowed to join The Spartans who had free admission to the pool from then on! The pool was fed from the River Sheaf, so unheated, but filtered.
    And talking of Sheffield, what about the long forgotten Spooner Wheels pool? This was a mill dam on the Rivelin valley which was turned into a proper open air swimming facility by the council before the war.

    1. Thank you for the additional information, which I have added to the main entry. I’ve got Rivelin Valley as an entry but I haven’t done any research on this pool yet. Is this the same as Spooners Wheel?

Leave a Reply